I have been wanting to write this blog entry for awhile now, after all it is this site’s namesake! There have been a few, not a ton, “rock meets country” moments in the past that were special. I don’t think the two genres are as different as most people try to make it seem. I always listened to rock growing up so when I decided to wanted to give country music a try it just seemed like a natural fit. Some of today’s country musicians rock harder than most contemporary hard rock performers. I plan to explore this topic more in later blogs but for now here is my first list in no particular order.
1. The most recent moment on this list was when Richie Sambora (from Bon Jovi) jammed with Dolly Parton at Glastonbury last month! The duo sang together on Bon Jovi’s classic “Lay Your Hands On Me”, which Parton covered on her newest album Blue Smoke. The reason why this worked is because of the song choice. Note: he’s wearing one of Dolly’s shirts!
2. CMT’s Crossroads show has had a long list of ‘Rock Meets Country’ moments to choose from but I’d have to say Joe Walsh and Brad Paisley performing together is one of the best. The reasoning being is that they both are great guitar players, you never seen either without one. Joe played with a number of of artists on the show but him and Brad performed “Rocky Mountain Way”.
3. Stevie Nicks and Lady Antebellum also did a CMT Crossroads episode, but it was their live performance at the 2014 ACM Awards that really stood out as being something special. They performed a medley of Stevie’s “Rhiannon” and Lady A’s “Golden,” after which a studio version was released on iTunes. The version with Stevie really fills in the void compared to the original.
4. Although this wasn’t a performance opportunity I love that this happened. Sammy Hagar with Toby Keith and Kenny Chesney. Sammy has been friends with both country singers for a while and has recorded (and reworked) a few times with Toby, such as “Santa’s Goin’ South,” “Margaritaville” and “I Love This Bar.” This picture was taken at the 2012 CMT Artists of the Year awards show. Sammy is even featured in the video for “Red Solo Cup”. On his latest album Sammy also recorded with Ronnie Dunn!
5. “Outlaws of Nashville: A Tribute to Motley Crue” is an album featuring all Motley Crue originals performed by contemporary country artists such as Justin Moore, Brantley Gilbert, LeeAnn Rimes, The Cadillac Three and even stars from the hit series Nashville Sam Palladio and Clare Bowen. The album is currently set to be released in August 2014, but the first single and video released is Justin Moore’s version of “Home Sweet Home”. I’ve listened to the samples of each track and found that the songs that I thought would work in fact don’t, but others do. Overall I think this is an interesting project to tackle and I know I’ll be purchasing it.
Here is the full track list:
|1. Rascal Flatts – Kickstart My Heart|
|2. Florida Georgia Line – If I Die Tomorrow|
|3. LeAnn Rimes – Smokin’ In the Boys Room|
|4. Justin Moore – Home Sweet Home|
|5. Cassadee Pope with Robin Zander – The Animal In Me|
|6. Aaron Lewis – Afraid|
|7. Big & Rich – SOS|
|8. Sam Palladio and Clare Bowen – Without You|
|9. Eli Young Band – Don’t Go Away Mad|
|10. Lauren Jenkins – Looks that Kill|
|11. The Cadillac Three – Live Wire|
|12. The Mavericks – Dr. Feelgood|
|13. Brantley Gilbert – Girls Girls Girls|
|14. Gretchen Wilson – Wild Side|
|15. Darius Rucker – Time for Change|